Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Toddler Quilt, 1 Down & 1 To Go

 
 
I finished one of the toddler quilts. I am working on the second one. I hope to have it finished in time to mail for Christmas.  I can see a couple of places that I wish I had rearranged the color blocks in this one & the binding is a little wavy, but all in all I am happy with it.
 
This is the back of it. I have some extra fabric in this print & am going to make a pair of PJ's & a pillow case to go with it.  I used the 'stitch in the ditch' method of quilting it.


I am in awe of the quilters that make all the intricate quilts out of little bitty pieces. My g'mother  made the most beautiful quilts & they lasted for years. Most of the sewing was done by hand. I did all mine by machine including the binding. The quilt is made with a low loft batting as I didn't want it to be too warm. They live in Southern California. Most of the time it is warm there. These quilts are meant for the kids to use them while watching TV or playing video games. (Yes, they are 2 & 3 & they already have video games.)



This is another sweater for the shelter. It a size 2 made from a Red Heart baby  yarn. Nice & warm for the rainy & cooler weather we have here. This was knitted on my SR 860 mid gauge machine. It has a grafted neckband & raglan sleeves. I think the raglan sleeves fit little bodies so much better than the drop shoulder or even the set in shoulder.

Our weather for this Christmas is much colder than usual, something that most of the country is experiencing this year. We have snow on the ground, & that is also unusual. I am hoping that we do not lose power. We had some really bad storms in 2007 & lost power for 10 days. We bought a kerosene heater then so at least we will be able to heat part of the house if it does go.  

 

2 comments:

Sew This N That said...

You have made a beautiful quilt Sheryl, the little ones will love snuggling under them :)
I have recently discovered quilting and sewing...have just finished my 1st quilt :)
I have a new blog for sewing to keep it seperate from my knitting blog...
it is http://www.hccrafts.wordpress.com

Happy Crafting,
Heather x

Sheryl Evans said...

Hi Heather, your quilts are so beautiful!! & binding by hand, too!! That takes a lot of dedication. Good job. ;-)